Monday, May 28, 2012

Not just a reason to cook out.

I know, I know.... I am just getting this blog post in UNDER THE WIRE, but since it is technically still Memorial Day, here I am!!!
     Memorial Day used to mean a day off from school and a chance at a family cookout. As I have gotten a little older (and hopefully a tad bit wiser) it means a whole lot more. I am so grateful for all those brave men and women who had and have the courage and love of country to stand up and fight for all of us. I am grateful for the many who have given us this gift of freedom in this most amazing country I get to live in. I appreciate it more than words can even say and I always keep those who stand and fight to keep that freedom in my prayers each and every day. I don't have the kind of bravery it takes to serve in the military, but I am eternally grateful for those amazing people who do. 
     I have had the example of family members who were in the service (Grandfathers, my own Father and Uncles) as well as friends. How blessed I am to know them, to love them and to be proud of them. How blessed I am that they love(d) me and all of us enough to make the choice to serve.
I am going to leave this post with some lyrics from my favorite songs/hymns in honor of this Memorial Day, because the people who wrote these words can say it so much better than I could ever hope to.

From the Star Spangled Banner :
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-- Francis Scott Key

From the Battle Hymn of the Republic:
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
(Chorus)
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
While God is marching on
--Julia Ward Howe

No comments:

Post a Comment